CreateWithMe

A knitting blog that will invariably have stray pieces of my life woven in as well.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Creating Beauty-rambling thoughts

This post by Cassie was very inspiring to me, and I've been mulling over the subject of beauty (and creativity) ever since.
You'll note the name of my blog....Create With Me. I've loved to create things ever since I can remember. This used to cause me a bit of guilty feelings (and still does occasionally). I tend to worry about if I'm misusing my time by spending it on my hobbies. Is that time that I should be spending reading to my kids, or cleaning, or.....?
These guilty pangs are more pronounced because I tend to be the only one of all of my relatives that has this drive to create. (I have a cousin that used to cross-stitch, but she's almost given it up entirely).
Am I wrong in thinking that we all crave beauty? It seems to me that there is something that's planted in the core of human beings that makes us want to make our surroundings lovelier and better than we found them.
I read once that if we aren't 'creative' we should be. The article said that we are made in the image of God, and of course, since God was a creator, that makes us have the implanted desire to be creative. (That made me feel quite a bit better about this drive that I have that no one else related to me seems to posess.)
I've seen some created things that I think are downright ugly. The stuff that passes for 'art' nowadays can be purely hideous. Don't most of us crave beauty, though?
I know that's what I aspire to.
I generally think it's cheesy to quote movies, but there's a line from "Sleepless in Seattle" that has stuck with me for YEARS. When the main character (played by Tom Hanks) was on the phone with the psychologist, talking about why he missed his dead wife so much, the thing that he said about her was "She made everything beautiful".
Whoa! That hits me every time I hear it.
I SO want to be a woman who makes everything that I touch beautiful. That includes things like my home, and our clothing, and stuff,,, but not just that. More importantly, I want the relationships that I have to be beautiful just because I was a part of them. Do I respond to my kids foibles with kindness, knowing that I can often fail as well? Do I 'cover over' the mistakes or grumpy attitudes of others with grace and forgiveness, knowing that we all have bad days sometimes? Am I encouraging and uplifting to those I'm in contact with? I wish I could answer 'yes' to these questions more often. BUT, despite my failings, creating beauty wherever I go will continue to be my goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home